Motorcades carrying former German World Cup winner Mesut Ozil and Necmettin Bilal Erdogan, son of Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, were involved in a road accident while returning from Rohingya camps in Cox’s Bazar on Thursday evening.
The incident occurred around 7:00pm on the Cox’s Bazar–Teknaf highway in the Kutupalong area of Ukhiya, shortly after the delegation concluded their visit to the refugee camps.
No injuries were reported among Ozil, Bilal Erdogan, or members of the Turkish delegation.
However, a motor-driven auto-rickshaw was severely damaged after colliding with one of the vehicles in the VIP convoy.
The auto-rickshaw driver was injured, though his identity was not immediately confirmed.
Officer-in-Charge of Ukhiya Shahpari Dwip Highway Police Station, Saiful Islam, said the auto-rickshaw suddenly entered the convoy, breaking protocol, which led to the collision.
The auto-rickshaw has been seized, and the injured driver received primary treatment locally.
Police said further investigation is underway, and legal steps will be taken.
Earlier in the day, Ozil and members of the Turkish delegation visited facilities inside the Rohingya camps. In the afternoon, Ozil played football with Rohingya youths at Camp-4 and later joined an iftar gathering in the evening.