Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) game development chairman and former national selector Habibul Bashar has been approached by the board to take over as chief selector, BCB sources have confirmed.
The development comes as incumbent chief selector Gazi Ashraf Hossain Lipu is understood to be unwilling to extend his contract, which expires on February 28.
Sources said Bashar has sought a few weeks to consider the offer before making a decision.
Speaking to The Daily Star recently, Lipu indicated that he was not inclined to continue in the role on a long-term basis.
“The board usually looks for people for a two-year term, keeping in sight upcoming World Cup events such as the next T20 World Cup and the ODI World Cup in 2027. From that point of view, I am preoccupied and will not be taking on that role if I am considered. I have expressed that I am in no position to commit to a long-term contract,” Lipu had said a few days ago.
Bashar previously served as chief selector alongside Minhajul Abedin before the pair were replaced in 2024 by Lipu and Hannan Sarker as part of a restructuring of the national selection panel.