Amid the ongoing “complete shutdown” at the Dhaka University of Engineering & Technology (DUET) in Gazipur, newly appointed Vice-Chancellor Professor Dr Mohammad Iqbal entered the campus and officially resumed his duties at his office.
Confirming the matter to The Daily Star this afternoon, DUET Director of Student Welfare Utpal Kumar Das said that a discussion meeting was held between the vice-chancellor and the university’s teachers, officers, and staff regarding the ongoing situation. Following the meeting and at their request, the vice-chancellor entered the campus at around 2:30pm and peacefully began official activities.
He further said that a section of the university’s teachers, officers, employees, and some general students welcomed the newly appointed vice-chancellor.
Tension has been prevailing on the DUET campus for the past several days over the appointment of the VC.
Last Sunday, clashes and chases took place between groups of students supporting and opposing the appointment. At least 23 people were injured in the incident.
Earlier last Thursday, the government issued a gazette notification appointing Professor Iqbal of Shahjalal University of Science and Technology as the new vice-chancellor of DUET. Since then, a section of students has been protesting the appointment.
The protesters argue that DUET is a specialised engineering university, and therefore internal teachers with experience in the university’s academic and administrative environment should be appointed as Vice-Chancellor.
Last Tuesday, newly appointed VC Iqbal told The Daily Star, “I am carrying out my responsibilities regularly. Salaries, bonuses, and outstanding dues of officers, employees, and teachers have been paid. Instructions have also been given to ensure treatment for injured students.”