Local administration has cancelled the concert by popular band Ashes, scheduled to be held at Kishoreganj's Old Stadium this evening, following opposition from a group identifying itself as Tawhidi Janata and concerns over the organiser's registration.

Additional Deputy Commissioner (General) Md Ishtiaque Imon confirmed the cancellation at around 1:15pm today. He said a group of Islamic scholars had approached him demanding that the concert be stopped.

Earlier, Alishan Restaurant, submitted an application, seeking permission to organise the cultural programme and a raffle draw, he said.

“After verification, we found that Alishan Restaurant has no registration. The application for permission from an unregistered organisation has therefore been treated as cancelled, and they have been instructed to obtain registration promptly,” the ADC said.

“Considering all aspects, the cultural programme and the raffle draw have been cancelled,” he added.

Earlier today, Ashes announced in a Facebook post that the concert had been postponed, citing “some unforeseen reasons” on the part of the administration. The band said it hoped to meet its fans at a later date.

Mufti Abdur Rahim, organisational secretary of the Kishoreganj district unit of Hefazat-e-Islam, said seven Islamic scholars from the Kishoreganj Imam Ulema Parishad, including himself, went to the deputy commissioner's office around 11:30am to demand its cancellation.

He said the additional deputy commissioner (General) assured them that no concert would be allowed at the Old Stadium.

On Monday, Maulana Ahmadullah, president of the Kishoreganj Sadar unit of Imam Ulema Parishad, submitted a memorandum to the deputy commissioner on behalf of Tawhidi Janata, seeking cancellation of the concert.

The memorandum described the planned musical programme as “contrary to Shariah” and warned that holding it could create a “volatile situation”.

Tawhidi Janata had also announced a protest rally and procession after Asr prayers today from the Shahidi Mosque premises in the district town. Mufti Abdur Rahim said the programme had been suspended following the cancellation of the concert.

“We will not allow any concert that is contrary to Shariah to be held,” he added.



Contact
reader@banginews.com

Bangi News app আপনাকে দিবে এক অভাবনীয় অভিজ্ঞতা যা আপনি কাগজের সংবাদপত্রে পাবেন না। আপনি শুধু খবর পড়বেন তাই নয়, আপনি পঞ্চ ইন্দ্রিয় দিয়ে উপভোগও করবেন। বিশ্বাস না হলে আজই ডাউনলোড করুন। এটি সম্পূর্ণ ফ্রি।

Follow @banginews