National Citizen Party chief coordinator Nasiruddin Patwary and several of his associates allegedly came under attack in Jhenaidah on Friday shortly after Jumma prayers, with party leaders accusing activists of Jatiyatabadi Chhatra Dal and Jubo Dal of carrying out the attack.
The incident took place in front of the old Collectorate Jame Mosque in the district town following Friday prayers, creating tension in the area.
Eyewitnesses said that Patwary was leaving the mosque after prayers when Islamic University unit Chhatra Dal convener Shahed Ahmed approached him for a brief exchange.
During the interaction, a group of unidentified youths allegedly threw eggs at Patwary, which quickly escalated into scuffles and a physical confrontation between supporters of both sides.
Several NCP activists were reportedly injured in the clash. Following the incident, NCP leaders and supporters staged protests in the area demanding action against those responsible.
According to the NCP leaders, the attack occurred after they attended Jumma prayers as part of a pre-scheduled political programme in Jhenaidah.
In a Facebook post following the incident, Patwary alleged that the attackers first hurled eggs, bricks and stones at them before launching an assault with hockey sticks in the presence of police personnel.
He claimed at least three people sustained head injuries while several others were injured during the attack. Patwary also alleged that mobile phones, cameras and wallets were snatched from his associates amid the chaos.
‘We came out of the mosque after Jumma prayers when armed attackers equipped with hockey sticks and weapons launched an assault on us. Despite the attack, we maintained restraint,’ Patwary told reporters.
He further alleged that local political figures were involved in organising the attack and demanded proper investigation and exemplary punishment for those responsible.
Following the incident, Patwary said he and his associates took shelter at the local police station and were preparing to file a case.
NCP joint member secretary Tarek Reza condemned the incident, saying the attack raised serious concerns about public safety and law and order.
‘We came under attack immediately after leaving the mosque. If people are not safe even after offering prayers at a mosque, then where in the country is safe?’ he said.
IU unit JCD convener Sahed Ahmed, however, denied involvement in the violence, saying he only approached Patwary to raise concerns over alleged ‘provocative remarks’ made against senior BNP leaders during political programmes in different districts.
Meanwhile, Jhenaidah district Chhatra Dal general secretary Shahriar Russell rejected the allegations and claimed no Chhatra Dal activists were involved in the incident.
Confirming the situation, Jhenaidah police station officer-in-charge Asaduzzaman said that law enforcement agencies had brought the situation under control and deployed additional police at important points across the town.
He also said Nasiruddin Patwary had visited the police station following the incident, though no written complaint had been submitted yet.