The High Court on Sunday ordered that secondary schools across Bangladesh would remain closed from February 18, when the fasting month of Ramadan is expected to begin.
A bench of Justice Fahmida Quader and Justice Md Ashif Hasan passed the order after hearing a public interest litigation filed by lawyer Elias Ali Mollah.
Elias said that the government had earlier decided to keep secondary schools (Classes VI–X) closed from March 8, while madrasas were to remain closed from February 15.
The lawyer said that the court advanced the vacation for secondary schools to remove discrimination and to respect religious practices during Ramadan.
He argued that fasting students in Classes VI–X face difficulties attending school during Ramadan.
The court also issued a rule asking the government to explain why secondary schools should not remain closed during Ramadan.
Primary schools and colleges will follow the government’s existing schedule.
Elias argued that all educational institutions had remained closed during Ramadan since the country’s independence. The practice had become law and could not be ignored under article 31 of the constitution.
According to Article 31, every citizen and every person in Bangladesh has the right to protection under the law and to be treated in accordance with the law. No one’s life, liberty, body, reputation, or property can be harmed except in accordance with the law.