The Association of Television Channel Owners (ATCO) today withdrew its earlier notice requiring broadcast journalists and media workers to obtain a no-objection certificate (NOC) before joining another media organisation.
The withdrawal came less than 24 hours after the directive drew criticism from journalists and media organisations, including the Dhaka Reporters Unity (DRU).
In a new notice signed by ATCO President Anjan Chowdhury and General Secretary Abdus Salam, the association said the earlier “urgent notice” issued on May 17 had been sent by mistake and was being withdrawn.
“All are requested to ensure that no complexity or obstruction is created over the matter,” the statement read.
The earlier directive required employees working in television channels to submit a written clearance or NOC from their current or most recent workplace before joining another channel. It warned that joining another organisation without such clearance would be considered a violation of organisational rules and could lead to legal action.
On Sunday, DRU protested the notice, asserting that journalists have the right to change workplaces, choose suitable employment, and work independently.
In a statement signed by DRU President Abu Saleh Akon and General Secretary Mainul Hasan Sohel, the organisation said no owners’ body could unilaterally impose directives undermining journalists’ professional freedom.
DRU added that making NOCs mandatory and threatening legal action contradicted labour laws, journalistic ethics, and the principles of independent media.